- The Beloved Community is invited to help an organization called Feed My Starving Children [FMSC] MobilePack. FMSC is a Christian nonprofit that is dedicated to providing nutritious meals to children worldwide. The meals are hand-packed by volunteers and sent to partner organizations that distribute them to those in need. They need 545 volunteers to help produce 108,000 meals for the MobilePack event. Adults and children (5 years and older) will measure and scoop ingredients, seal bags and prepare boxes for shipping. This event will take place at the Stevens Point Airport – Noel Hangar on February 21-22, 2020. The volunteer registration will open in January. I will notify our congregation when online registration to volunteer has opened. In addition, monetary donations are being requested. A special donor has offered to match funds in the month of December. On Sunday, December 8 and December 15, we will take up a special collection for this event. Please be generous as you always are! Please place cash donations in an envelope marked FMSC. Make check payable to: FMSC Please write in the memo line: Mobile Pack# 2002-304EA Thank you for your generosity in giving and volunteering!
- HOLIDAY BASKET --It’s that time of year again where we gear up to help support families through the Operation Bootstrap program. This project matches basket sponsors with people who have many needs at holiday time. Last year 1,130 families received baskets. We are sponsoring a family of 10 this year with 8 children. The Giving Tree with food tags have been placed on the tree. Take a tag, purchase the item, tape the tag to the item and place it under the tree. We are working on the ‘wish lists’ of the children and hope to have these tags on the tree soon. Take the tag, purchase the gift, wrap it if you can and place it under the tree with the tag taped to it. All items must be placed under the tree by Friday, Dec. 20th. If you would rather make a donation, make the check payable to Church of Intercession with a note, ‘Holiday Basket’. Also, if there is anyone out there that is interested in qualifying as a recipient for a basket, please contact Operation Bootstrap. Thank you for such a terrific response in the years past and as we continue to grow in the years to come. Any questions, see Kendra Cychosz or Rosie Bossenbroek.
- MOBILE PANTRY --The Mobile Pantry always needs donations. We have a grocery cart in the Narthex. Fill it up with non-perishable items that we can donate to the Mobile Pantry.
- OPERATION BOOTSTRAP--Operation Bootstrap needs brown paper bags. You can put those in the grocery cart also and someone will take them over to Bootstrap.
- CAP SERVICES-- Please see the Outreach portion of our bulletin board CAP Services Wish List.
- CAP Services provides free tax preparation to low-income families in Portage County through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. We anticipate an increased demand for our services in 2020, and we will need volunteers to help us meet that need. Individuals can get involved in one of three ways: through a weekly commitment to conduct intake activities, prepare taxes, or through an occasional (1-2x/month) commitment to offer interpretation services. No previous experience is needed for any of these positions! CAP will provide in-person and online training, free of charge, to all interested volunteers beginning in mid-December. The tax site operates from late January to mid-April. Sign up at www.capservices.org/vita.
- PORTAGE COUNTY LITERACY COUNCIL (PCLC) is located in Stevens Point and provides classes and tutors free of charge to adults at convenient locations throughout the county. Our mission is to help adults that live and/or work in Portage County develop the basic math and English literacy skills necessary to achieve economic self-sufficiency and community integration. Learn more about the program and how you can help by visiting: https://pocolit.org/